Monday, July 6, 2009

Greg's 25th & FAILED InternBar

A friend of mine, Greg, had his 25th birthday on Thursday night. The party was at a bar in the Lower East Side and drinks were free for most of the night. I met a bunch of financial types and luckily knew just enough about capital markets and hedge funds to fake my way through decent conversation. Oh, and I ran into Alex at the party - he graduated last May and is now living in Chicago. We chatted for a while and you wouldn't believe what he is thinking about doing - joining the Peace Corps. Those of you who know me know that I've considered joining for some time. Anyway, I'll write more about that later.

So...Alex and I said our farewells and headed off to an InternBar party. Now, InternBar parties have been a little hit or miss for me. When they are good, they are awesome and when they aren't good - I'd rather be at home in my bed sleeping (yes, I went to one that was that bad). We get in a cab and make our way to midtown which worked out nicely for Alex because his hotel was only a few blocks away from the venue. We get to the bar around midnight and find the place completely dead. Who pollutes my Facebook inbox with reminders about a party that ends before midnight? Pathetic.

The night got better when starving Alex went into a store and tried to buy a box of granola bars. The exchange between Alex and the cashier went a little something like this:

Cashier: "Is this all?"
Alex: "Yea, just this box of granola bars."
Cashier: "That will be $7.38."
Alex (looking as though someone had just set his left hand on fire): "I'm sorry, how much? There is no way that costs $7.38."
Cashier: "Yes."
Alex: "Oh, well, never mind then."

Lessons Learned:
  • Fake it 'til it comes. Know enough about varied subjects to speak to anyone about something remotely interesting.
  • InternBar = epic FAIL! (sometimes)
  • NYC is expensive - deal with it. Although, $7+ for a box of granola bars is out of control
dw

No comments:

Post a Comment