Friday, July 10, 2009

Independence Day



I celebrated Independence Day with Taylor and a few of her roommates at Pier 54 on the Hudson. The fireworks didn't start until 9:30 p.m., but everyone knew to get there very early if you wanted a decent spot. We got to the pier around 7:45 p.m. and got a spot close to the water. I made friends with this really nice German lady and Taylor's roomies befriended an older couple whom invited them to meet up for breakfast one day (who says people from New York aren't nice?). The show was good. I didn't like the fact that the building blocked my view a bit and that the wind blew debris into my eyes. It was a fun time, though.

I took a picture so y'all could get a feel for the crowd - it was packed. I love the fact that the woman in the blue shirt and black vest smiled for my picture.



After the fireworks, we went to get something to eat at Pop Burger. The food was pretty good and the music selection wasn't too bad either. As I walked back to my place, I stepped into a store to get some water because I refused to pay $3.75 for a bottle of VitaminWater at Pop Burger. I hear the frantic pleas of a woman as I leave the store:

"Oh no, no, no, no! Please, don't do that! Put it up, put it up, I say!"

I was a little startled and proceeded with caution. I walk by and see a women and 5 kids in a semi circle. In the middle of the group I saw a little boy with his pants around his ankles as he hosed down the sidewalk. People on the street egged him on as his mother rushed to pull his pants up. Oh, kids.

My family is coming into town today; I know I'll have some good stories about their trip. Stay tuned.

Lessons Learned:
  • When watching fireworks, stay away from Pier54. Buildings block your view of the show and debris will get into your eyes.
  • When you gotta go, you gotta go - just probably not on the sidewalk.
dw

No comments:

Post a Comment